If you’re a traveller of any sort, chances are that Paris is on your bucket list. It’s one of those cities that most people dream of as it has everything- romance, shopping, art, culture, and great food. The iconic Eiffel tower picture is something that everyone wants to take.
24 hours in Paris can be a very different experience depending on who you visit with- a girls’ trip will have a completely different vibe compared to a romantic trip. A work trip will have a different vibe than visiting with your family. But the beauty of Paris is that there is something for everyone.
Regardless of whether you take the Thalys into Paris for the day or have a flight layover, use that time wisely!
So, what happens when you finally get to Paris, but only have 24 hours in the city? Fret not- while it’s true that Paris is a huge city, it’s also a city where, if you manage your expectations and time right, you can hit all the major landmarks and get some great food (or gelato) in you!
You’ll need to hit the ground running as soon as you get in, but here’s how we suggest getting the most out of your 24 hours in Paris.
Be sure to grab a metro pass right before of after checking in your hotel. This is going to cut down on your transportation time between landmarks.
While Paris is an extremely walkable city, for the most part, not everything is super close together like in London for example so jumping on the metro will save you some time. That said, walking in the Tuileries Gardens to the Musee D’Orsay is totally worth it.
Let’s be real for a minute- 24 hours in Paris actually means 16 hours when you take the time to sleep out of the equation.
- Walk down ChampsElyseess: Take the metro to the Arc de Triompf exit and walk down to the Eiffel Tower. The 30-minute walk down is filled with shopping, gelato places (priority!). Champs Elysees is a 5-minute walk away from the metro stop.
- Visit the Eiffel Tower: Absolute must. You’re in Paris- you need to see the tower. Going up the tower is a different story. It’s a time-consuming activity, and depending on the lines can take hours. Plan on a few hours here if you really want to go up.
- Take Instagram-worthy pics on Rue Cremuiex: Yes, it’s worth the detour to Gare de Lyon to get down to this cute little hidden gem. The pastel colour homes are the perfect backdrop to uncommon Paris pictures. Trust us.
- Find the Mona Lisa at the Louvre- We’ll be honest here- the Mona Lisa is pretty tiny, and it takes forever to find it in the Louvre. We would suggest keeping the museum tour for a longer trip, and head to the Louvre at night when it’s not so packed with tourists, and you can get some great shots, but most importantly, you get to take in the beauty of the glass and lights.
- Leave a love lock by Notre Dame- or don’t. I hear they are cutting them all down because of the extra weight on the bridges.
- Have a picnic in the Tuileries Gardens- Perfect place to take a little break before museum hopping or shopping or whatever you wanted. The gardens are beautiful and extremely photogenic. Be sure to pop into Jean Paul Hévin and grab a hot chocolate before your walk.
- Indulge on Parian pastries– The easiest thing to find in Paris is pastries. Seriously. We like to them of them as a fuel stop.
Sweets, Treats, and Food:
Here are 3 of our favourite places in Paris:
- The perfect l’Éclair | l’Éclair de Génie: 14 rue Pavée 75004 Paris | Métro Stop: Saint Paul
- The delicious ice cream | Berthillon : 31 Rue Saint-Louis en l’Île, 75004 Paris | Métro Stop: Pont-Marie
- The hot chocolate that tastes like heaven | Jean Paul Hévin :231 Rue Saint Honoré, 75001 Paris | Métro Stop Tuileries
Where to Stay:
Hilton Paris Opera– steps from the metro, and absolutely stunning decor.
The beauty of Paris is that you can see as much or as little as you in a day. You can visit it every year, and still find new things to experience. But if you only have 24 hours in Paris spend it wisely. Figure out what’s most important to you, and set a plan to go see those things- and don’t worry- you can always come back.