Sure we would all love to jet-set around the world and travel to France, Australia, or some amazing tropical island, but the reality is we are all on a budget these days. There are some great places you can go inside the United States that are amazing and I’ve found my favorite 7 for 2019. You already know how to find insanely cheap flights. Now start picking your next affordable U.S. destination to match.
1. Philadelphia, PA. The City of Brotherly Love and now the home of the Super Bowl Champs, the Eagles, “Philly” has both the higher end tourist attractions as well as many free museums and sights to see. The historical culture here is so rich since it is the birthplace of our nation’s democracy. The architecture alone in places like Old City and Fishtown are worth a look and make for great keepsake photos. The Yards Brewing Company offers free Saturday tours and samples to boot. Philadelphia’s restaurant scene goes well beyond the cheesesteak too.
2. Williamsburg, VA. This quaint, historical town where our Founding Fathers once walked is an affordable couples or family place any time of the year. There is fine dining, boutique shopping, and tours that won’t break the bank. The nearby cities of Jamestown and Yorktown are also worth checking out.
3. Charleston, SC. This eclectic city is not only ranked high for a romantic getaway but because it is so affordable, it is also a fabulous girlfriend getaway too. Charleston ranks number 1 for its fine dining restaurants and southern hospitality is abounded everywhere you go. If you stay downtown in one of many low-cost hotels or even a boutique spot, everything is within walking distance. For a day trip, head over the Thomas Ravenel bridge to Folly Beach and enjoy some fresh seafood.
4. Phoenix, AZ. Between the higher end shopping districts and the growing food scene, Phoenix is becoming a must visit cheaper destination. You will find gorgeous resorts in the Sonoran Desert and cacti-lined streets on which you can stroll. You will encounter low-cost room rates in one of the many resorts and of course, Phoenix is a golfers paradise with over 100 courses. Surprisingly enough, this city has become the 5th largest of population in the U.S.
5. Memphis, TN. I bet you didn’t know that Memphis ranked in the top five for the free, outdoor, fun entertainment of not only music but all kinds of street performances. Low-cost hotels and convenient walking tours make Memphis a gorgeous city to get to know and one of our cheap places to travel in the U.S. Don’t forget to try all of the amazing barbecue found all over the city.
6. Fort Lauderdale, FL. Sitting this close to Miami means that the nightlife scene bleeds over easily, and you have access to the best weather in Florida. There are a ton of beaches to enjoy, a great variety of accommodation options, and cheaper flights into the airport.
7. Dallas-Forth Worth, TX. When you visit both these cities, plan on finding all the stereotypical things that make Texas as big as it is. Big hair, hats, and cowboy boots everywhere. There is so much to do from watching the Dallas Cowboys play to the actual cowboys rope cows, this is the beginning of what this has to offer. There is a lot of history, art, and plenty of family-friendly things to do. The Fort Worth Zoo and the Dallas Aquarium are affordable attractions but book tickets in advance for the best savings.